Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Technical Difficulties--Or, Why I Haven't Made anything cool in ages.

On Friday, June 3rd, 2011, I went out to Karaoke with my family and a good time was had by all.  Life was normal.  On Saturday, June 4th, 2011, I was awakened by crushing chest pains that radiated into my shoulders, back, and abdomen.  I thought I was gonna die of a heart attack on the spot.  Never one to leap into untried waters, I called my hubby who was working Saturday and had him look up symptoms of female heart attacks on the internet for me.  He called an ambulance for me since I was far from lucid by then. 

The rest is mostly a blur.  I remember a little about the paramedics, a bit about the ambulance ride, my ex-Catholic guilt coming up because I wanted to stay still for the CT scan but couldn't stop my body from moaning in pain....it turned out I had an abdominal rupture from a stomach surgery two years ago.  Thankful for the news that it was not a heart attack, I was happy though still in pain, until I found out what the treatment woud be.  Total "rest" of my stomach, meaning I couldn't eat or drink anything for at least a month.  Also an aggressive drug treatment protocol of IV antibiotics and antifungals was started.  After a few days they started feeding me through the IV.  I spent 2 weeks in the hospital, some of it in ICU, and now I'm home learning from a home nurse how to manage my own IV treatments and feedings.  Right now it feels like a full-time job, but I'm sure as I get a few more days under my belt, it will seem more manageable.  Unfortunately I will still be starving and coveting food and drink with an intensity I couldn't have anticipated.  I am so emotionally addicted to food!  This will be a learning experience, that is for sure.  So far, all I have had energy for is managing all the IV meds, sleeping, and reading.  Hopefully I can make some jewelry soon. 

I want to say a big sappy thank-you to all my hospital nurses at Skyridge,  in ICU and unit 6, who were wonderful, and to Dawn, who is my visiting nurse and who has the patience of a saint.  Nurses rock!  They work so hard and take such good care of people....wow.  What a noble, hard job, and how admirably it is being done!

Sorry for the boring post, but I thought I should explain my absence recently

1 comment:

  1. Oh Joani you poor thing. Your presence has been sincerely missed. Lots of prayers, hugs, and positive thoughts being sent your way. Rest up, relax, and I can't wait to see you back online when you're better!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, and, after getting over the initial shock of finding that someone out there is "listening", I'll respond to every comment or question.